Our house is a place where we feel secured and safe. It is something that we own and belongs to us. We have a right on it and we can decorate it along with deciding the interiors on our own. We are often quite possessive when it comes to our house and we barely like to bear anyone else’s interference in it. When we are so concerned and protective for our own house, don’t you think the pets we own have the same right too when it comes to their own house? The only difference is that we have an option to choose the interiors and exteriors of our dwelling place but these poor creatures can not express what they prefer and what not. Therefore, as pet owners when we have made these adorable creatures a part of our family, it becomes our responsibility to take care of the likes and dislikes of our pets. The same includes choosing the right dwelling place or building the best dog house for them to live. A place that would belong to them and something which the dogs can call their own.
When you search on-line for the method to make a dog house, you shall get various ideas including the best dog houses for winter but have you ever thought about building such a dog house that suits all the seasons? Wouldn’t it be exciting to build a multi-purpose dog house that can stand all the seasons? The following article shall inform you about how you can build a dog house in which any sized dog can fit in and that also provides comfort, warmth, privacy, and protection to your dog.
Installing Insulation Sheets for All-Weather Protection
If you wish to build the best dog house for your pooch that keeps it warm during winters and provides it relief from the scorching heat of summers then, you need to install insulation sheets between the wall studs while building your dog’s dwelling place. You may use either 3 inches thick polystyrene sheets or rigid foam insulation. If you feel it is too expensive then what you can do is, install 1 ½ inches studs and fit 1 ½ inches thick insulation. After the sheets have been fit into their place by you, just cover them with ¼ inch or ¾ inch plywood sheets.
You would need to align the components at both ends before you secure them with wood screws. Also, it would be better if you pre-drill holes in the lumber so that the wood can be prevented from splitting. You need to be very carefully while working and make sure that the walls are plumb and the top plates have been properly leveled. You can use a saw to cut the insulation sheets of the right size before you fit them between the wall studs. Just in case if you live in an area with low temperature (cold) then, build the studs from 2*4 lumber and fit 3 to 3 ½ inches thick insulation. On the other hand if you live in a warmer area then, you can go for 2*2 lumber and 1 ½ inches insulation.
Knowing the size of your dog is of utmost importance because obviously you would not want your dog to go inside the dog house you constructed and get stuck in there. So, before beginning with the actual construction, make sure that the dog would have enough room to turn around and stretch inside the best insulated dog house being built for it.
There are various designs of dog houses available but you need to choose the best among all the alternatives before you jump on to building a dog house for our pet. Building the best dog house would also need you to buy quality products and materials required for the construction if you want to get the job done like a professional.
Required Materials for Building an Insulated Dog House
- 3 pieces of 2*4 lumber that are 33 inches long and 2 pieces that are 36 inches long
- 1 piece of ¾ inch plywood – 36 inches*36 inches for flooring
- 4 pieces of 2*4 lumber that are 36 inches long each, 4 pieces that are 29 inches long, and 12 pieces – 22 ½ inches long for walls
- 2 pieces of 5/8 inch plywood – 28 ¼ inches*36 inches long, 2 pieces – 37 ¼ inches*47 inches long for walls
- 6 pieces of 2*4 lumber that are 26 ¼ inches long for rafters
- 2 pieces of ¾ inch plywood that are 21 inches*45 ¼ inches long for roofing
- 2 pieces of 2*2 lumber – 24 inches long, 3 pieces that are 27 inches long, and 8 pieces of 1*4 lumber that are 24 inches long for deck frame
- 2 pieces of 2*2 lumber – 20 inches, 2 pieces – 30 inches long, 3 pieces 24 ½ inches long, and 1 piece of ¾ inch plywood – 24 ½ inches*30 inches
- 1 piece of 2*4 lumber – 10 feet
- 6 pieces of 2*4 lumber – 12 feet
- 1 piece of ¾ inch plywood – 4 inches*8 inches
- 1 piece of ¾ inch plywood – 2 inches*3 inches
- 2 pieces of 5/8 inch plywood – 4 inches* 8 inches
- 4 pieces of 2*2 lumber – 8 feet
- 2 pieces of 1*4 lumber – 8 feet
- 2 ½ inches screws
- Stain and putty
- Asphalt shingles
Tools that you Would Require
- It is a must to have safety gloves and glasses on.
- Circular saw or miter saw will also be required.
- Hammer, spirit level, carpentry pencil, measuring tape are some other tools that you would need.
Few Tips Before You Begin Building the Dog House
- It is very important to measure the lumber attentively before you jump on to making the cuts.
- It is better to install polystyrene sheets instead of mineral wool battens.
It shall take you not more than a weekend to build the best insulated dog house for your four-legged friend.
Building an Insulated Dog House
Below are a few steps that you can follow to build an insulated dog house:-
- Step 1:- The flooring – You shall have to begin with building the floor of the dog house first. So, build the frame with the help of 2*4 joists and then, assemble them together. Now, you shall have to drill holes so you can use a drilling machine for the same. The holes need to be drilled through the rim joists. Then, drive in the 3 inches wood screws through the holes. You better make sure that the corners are right-angled and for this, you can use a carpentry square. Now, attach the ¾ inch plywood flooring and secure it with 2 inches nails or screws, every 6 inches along the joists. Flush the edges with the joists.
- Step 2:– The walls – The second step involves building the walls and securing them to the floor. If you want to build the best dog house and want it to look as if has been built by a professional then, it is advisable to build the frames from 2*4 lumber. It will be better if you do the building task on a leveled surface or on an even terrain as it will give you better and consistent results with the right measurements and securing. After having done this much, just place the walls and plumb them with a spirit level, driving in the 3 inches screws into the flooring. Then, secure the adjacent walls together using screws.
Note: You may pre-drill the components so that you can prevent the wood from splitting.
- Step 3:– Installation of the exterior siding – You shall have to use 5/8 inch plywood. The task involves cutting the 4 inches*8 inches plywood sheets to the right size. You may use a circular saw with a fine blade for cutting. Before actually cutting, do not forget to mark the cut lines. Also, be mindful of cutting the door opening using a jigsaw. To secure the sheets to the frame, you may use 1 ¼ inches nails every 8 inches along the studs.
- Step 4:– Installing insulation sheets – It does not matter whether you use polystyrene sheets or mineral wool batts, just make sure that there should not be any space or gap between the wall studs and insulation sheets otherwise, you would not end up building the best insulated dog house. To adjust the size of the polystyrene sheets, it is better to use a handsaw. If you want a professional result then, you have to be very attentive during the dog house building process.
- Step 5:– Installing the interior walls – For this you may use ¾ inch plywood. Just cut the sheets of the right size using a circular or a table saw and make sure that you do not damage the edges. Then, fit the sheets into place securing them to the wall studs with the 2 ½ inches screws.
- Step 6 :- Building the rafters – It is the easiest step if you are a bit attentive and using the right technique. To build rafters, use 2*4 lumber and make sure that you cut their ends at 45 degrees angle (use a miter saw to do this). The rafters should be cut perfectly equal. Align the rafters at both ends securing them to the top plates with 3 inches nails.
- Step 7:- Installing the roofing sheets – You would need ¾ inch plywood for this. First of all, center the sheets on the roof structure and secure them to the rafter at every 6 inches, using 2 inches nails.
This was all you need to do to build a simple dog house but if you want to enhance the way it looks and want it to be the best dog house then, you can add a few more steps in the process that are as follows:-
- Step 8:- Adding a front deck – Begin with building the frame of the deck from 2*2 lumber. For this, assemble the components and make sure that the corners are squared and the diagonals are equal. You can attach 1*4 slats to the deck frame and secure them using wood screws into the place.
- Step 9:– Building a covered pergola – To build the posts, use 2*2 lumber securing them into place with screws.
- Step 10:– Covering the roof with tar paper – To secure the tar paper you can use staples. Follow this step before installing the asphalt shingles. It will be better if you install the asphalt shingles beginning from the bottom left part of the roof.
After all the steps have been done, you can focus on the finishing touches that include filling the holes with wood filler and sealing the gaps with silicone. Also, do not forget to let the compounds dry out properly before sanding the surface with 120 sandpaper.