As blissful having a puppy or any other pet might sound, it comes with a lot of responsibilities and care required on your part that you cannot ignore. Among the other responsibilities, one is such as building a ramp for your pooch. Let us imagine a situation where you have come to a point in your life when the same internet surfing, watching movies on OTT platforms, work from home, etc. have become monotonous and you decide to go on an adventurous camping on the mountains or to live in a cottage in some remote village sans technology. How amazing would it feel! Right? Especially for the ones who are loners, introverts, or someone who prefers spending time at home while sitting on a couch and enjoying a perfect cup of coffee instead of partying around. It is obvious that you would not find anyone for help in such remote and secluded areas. Therefore, it is you who has to help yourself with everything including building cheap dog ramps for your four-legged friend at several locations of your dwelling place.
Why Would You Need to Build the One?
Here are the reasons for why you might feel the need to have a dog ramp at your place for your favorite family member:-
- The porch of your house could be a little too high for your tiny pup to reach there.
- The pup might have some orthopedic or hip issues because of which it might be unwilling to jump or climb the stairs.
- If you are planning to build the best dog ramp for bed then, it will help your dog to on and off your bed without any trouble.
- Building a dog ramp gives your pooch a leg up.
- The pet might be old and not that energetic to show its athletic skills off.
- A bit of an inclination shall help your dog to avoid any sort of injury due to jumping.
Skill Level Required for Building the best dog ramps
This my friend is a very easy Do It Yourself (DIY) task. Even if you are a beginner and have no relevant skills in carpentry, you shall be able to do it without any trouble. The only things required on your part at this stage would be a lot of patience, diligence, hard work, and precision. The reason I say precision is because cutting the angles and keeping everything squared requires you to be precise.
Total Cost Involved in the Task and Estimated Time
Building a dog ramp might cost you somewhere around $60 or less and the time involved would be approximately four hours over 2 days.
Required Tools for Building a Dog Ramp
It would be better to keep the following tools at hand before you begin the building process.
Note: You might not need some of the following tools but they have been mentioned here just in case you require them. It is better to have everything needed at hand rather than running here and there to get them while the dog ramp building is under process.
- Drill or a driver
- Drill bit – 3/8 inch
- Paint brush
- Putty knife
- Adjustable wrench
- Tape measure
- Table saw
- Chop saw
- Sheet metal snips
The materials required for building the best dog house, may not be the ones that you usually have at your place but this does not mean that these are hard to get items because you can easily find them in a hardware shop or a nearby local store. Let us see what all would you need to build this thing for your pet:-
- Half sheet of plywood (4 inches * 4 inches * ¾ inch)
- Two Oak strips (4 inches * ¼ inch * 2 inches)
- 1 piece of brass carpet trim (an aluminum of bronze color)
- Three brass screws
- Two rubber bushings
- Carpet samples or cork board for a cushioned surface
- Paint brush
Let us begin building
Here are a few steps that you need to follow to build cheap dog ramps:-
Step 1 – Cutting the parts needed : You shall have to use a jigsaw to cut the parts of the box, legs, and top according to the lengths mentioned above. On the long (1 * 5) side of the box, first mark the edges, two inches from one end and 10 inches from the other end. Now, at each of these two marks just cut off the corners of 1 * 5. For this, you can use a jigsaw guided by a straight edge. Remember that the longer cut you make shall be the front of the ramp where it shall rest or sit on the floor and close to the ground. On the other hand, the shorter cut shall be at the back or top of the dog ramp where it shall meet the edge of the deck, staircase, or bed (for whatever purpose you are building it).
Step 2 – Cutting the legs : It is a very easy step you just have to have a coffee can with you. What you need to do is, first round over the top of one leg and use the coffee can as a template to create the curve then, use a jigsaw to cut the arc. Similarly, you can cut the second leg by tracing the curve onto it.
Step 3 – Building the sides of the boxes : From the longest point at the back of each 1 * 5 side piece, just make a mark 2 inches away and an another mark 10 inches from the longest point at the front. Now, make use of a speed square and draw a square line across the 1 * 5 at each mark. Then, set the 12 ½ inches box ends between the sides, inside the lines. You will have to clamp the sides in place to keep them square. Now, use the drill or driver to screw 1 5/8 inches trim head screws through the long sides and into the ends.
Step 4 – Attaching the bottom part : Using the same drill or driver and 1 5/8 inches trim head screws as in the above step now, you shall have to attach the plywood to the bottom or to the shorter edge of the box sides. Also, you will have to attach a 14 inches 1 * 5 crosspiece flush with the front edge of the plywood bottom.
Step 5 – Drilling holes for the leg bolts : The next step involves you to use a drill driver fitted with a 3/8 inch drill bit so that you may be able to bore a hole at the back end of each long side that is 1 ½ inches from the bottom edge and 3 ½ inches from the shortest point at the back of the box.
Step 6 – Drilling the bolt holes in the legs : Now that you have already drilled holes for the leg bolts, the next thing that you are required to do for building the best dog ramps is, drill bolt holes into the legs of the ramp. For this, you shall have to drill a 3/8 inch centered hole 13 ½ inches from the bottom of each leg. Then, using a screwdriver just screw the leg crosspiece between the legs with the ends of the crosspiece flush with the back edge of the legs. There might be some holes that have not been filled completely or properly so you can use a putty knife to fill all the seams and fastener holes with wood putty. The next thing requires you to sand, prime, and paint all the parts.
Note: If you are planning to just paint the surface of the dog ramp then, you would not need carpet and adhesive but if you are planning to design the dog ramp with a carpet covering the surface of the ramp to give your pet a cushioned surface then, these materials would be needed.
- Step 7 – Bolt the legs to the box : To do this, you shall need one washer for the outside of the leg, four washers for inserting the bolts between the legs and the box, 1 washer for the inside of the box, and 1 locking nut for the end of the bolt. The bolts to be inserted should be of 3/8 inch each. You shall also have to tighten these bolts for which you can use an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver.
- Step 8 – Attaching the lid : ½ inch from one end, you shall have to fasten a block to the underside of the lid as this block will work as a handle for pulling the collapsed ramp out from underneath the deck, ramp, or stairs. Now, turn the box upside down and set it on the underside of the lid. The box must be centered between the sides of the lid so that the ends sit flush with the ends of the lid. On to the side of the box, secure a 30 inches piano hinge using a drill or driver and screw it to the underside of the lid.
- Step 9 – Fastening on the hardware : The toy box hinge needs to be mounted on the inside of the box and to the underside of the lid. Also, you need to attach the folding door hinge to the outside of the box ½ inch from the top edge of the box on the opposite side just as the way you attached the piano hinge in the above step. The other end of the folding hinge needs to be attached to the front edge of the leg. Make sure that you install the ends of the hinges at an equal distance from the bolt hole at around 9 inches. It would be better if you mount the non-slip rubber strips or pads on the bottom of each leg and skid feet to the crosspieces on the underside of the box and to the back of the crosspieces between the legs.
- Step 10 – Mounting a non-slip rug or carpet on the surface of the lid or ramp : For this, you first need to cut a non-slip rug or a carpet according to the size of the lid and roll contact cement onto the top of the lid and the underside of the rug. When you feel that the cement has dried-up then, place the end of the rug flush with the end of the lid. Allow the rug to bond with the lid and work it up until the rug or the carpet is properly secured.