We nowadays are too busy with household chores to carry our pets and pooch along with us everywhere and anywhere we go. For example, if you have to go to the terrace of your house, would you carry your pooch along with you? Of course, not! None of us likes someone being dependent on us in our already busy schedules. Similarly, in our example you would want your pooch to climb up the staircase itself and reach out to the terrace. Oh! but wait. How mean of you to forget your little pup’s arthritis issue! How could you even imagine it to climb those stairs? Does that mean you shall have to carry the dog along with you every time you go to different parts of your house? Sounds unpleasant? Obviously, it does. So, what is the best that you can do to solve the issue? Well, how about giving the best dog steps to your pooch so that it is able to reach every place at height?
It is undoubtedly a useful solution because this shall allow your puppy to go up and down the stairs whenever she wants to. These ramps are good for all the dogs and pets with any type of issue related to joints, For example, hip dysplasia. Ramps are easier on painful joints as compared to stairs. Dog ramps over stairs also help in giving your pet some extra boost (if your dog is the one that needs it). An old dog, injured puppy, or a small pooch shall enjoy the new construction. If you build a dog ramp by yourself, it will not only save your hard-earned money but also will let you customize the size and material of the construction.
Building a Dog Ramp Over Stairs
To give your pet cheap dog steps over the stairs is easy. Let us see what are the materials that you require to have with yourself for building a dog ramp over stairs:-
- Tape measure
- Utility knife
- Carpet remnant (either you can buy one large piece or enough sample-sized small pieces so that the ramp can be covered)
- Staple gun
- Two inches wide neoprene rubber strips
- Plywood (3/8 inch thick if the dog weighs less than 50 pounds and 5/8 inch thick if the dog weighs above 50 pounds)
Steps to Follow
- Step 1: Taking the correct measurements: The first thing you need to do is measure the staircase with the help of a measuring tape. Do not forget to keep a notepad and a pen for jotting down the measurements. This will help you to build a dog ramp over the stairs of an exact shape and size. Be mindful of taking the measurement of the width of the stairs as well as the measurement from the floor at the bottom to the top i.e. the top step.
- Step 2: Adding to the original measurement: You shall have to add 4 inches to the length of the top to bottom measurement.
- Step 3: Plywood cutting: Make use of the saw you have been told to keep with you to cut the plywood according to the dimensions of your stairs. While cutting, do not forget to cut the length 4 inches longer so that a gradual slope can be created that your pup can maneuver. If you have a small dog then, you can make the ramp half as wide as the stairs. This will allow you to leave it in place all the time and you would not have to move the ramp here and there constantly, allowing you and your dog both to go up and down whenever needed.
- Step 4: Marking for the carpet: Use a marker for marking the dimensions of the ramp at the back of carpet remnant. Only the top surface of the ramp needs to be covered so, you do not have to take any other measurements. Now, cut along the markings on the carpet. You may use a knife for doing this.
- Step 5: Affixing the carpet: To affix the carpet, just lay the carpet over the top of the ramp and fix it to the place with the help of a staple gun.
- Step 6: Attaching the rubber strips: You will have to cut two pieces of rubber strips (keep them of the same length as the width of your ramp). Now, attach one of them on the underside of each end of the ramp. This can be done using a staple gun. The rubber strips prevent the ramp from sliding out of place when your dog uses it. So, it is better to not skip this step as it will keep the ramp intact on its position.
Dog Ramp Building Guide for a Deck
The deck stairs might be tiring for your little pooch when it has to travel to the yard and back to the deck. So, how you can help this poor creature? It is absolutely easy. You just need to make a few changes. You can help your dog by providing it with cheap dog steps over the deck stairs. You as a dog owner must be enjoying your time with the pet over the deck but I am afraid of the fact that you are unaware of how dangerous deck stairs could be for your pooch. They can be slippery in rainy seasons. Imagine your adorable four-legged friend slipping from the deck. Bummer! It can break their joints or rupture spinal discs. Would you want that? Of course, not! So, let us learn how you can build an outdoor ramp and save your pooch from injuries.
- Galvanized screws
- Staple gun
- Waterproof glue
Deck Dog Ramp It Is. Let Us Get Ourselves Working!
How would you choose good quality materials for the best dog ramps ? When you plan to build a dog ramp, you should consider the following materials:-
One thing good with plastic ramps is that they are not heavy but the problem is, they can not be used for big dogs. Also, they are not stable and would not provide durability to your construction.
Metal ramps are a good option as they are relatively more stable and provide greater stability. The problem with them is, they get rusty very quickly when they come In contact with water and therefore, it is advisable not to use them for outdoor decks.
Wooden ramps are no doubt stable but are heavy and slippery. They can become a perfect choice if you cover their surface with a non-slip carpet.
The Steps to Follow
- Step 1: The preparation – Before you begin the construction, make sure you have all the required materials with you. If not, get them from any local hardware shop. Buy the materials keeping in mind that the longer angle you make, the more comfortable your dog shall feel. So, buy the material quantity accordingly. You need a lumber that is straight and perfect for walking.
- Step 2: Measuring – No matter what kind of a dog ramp you are building, this step is very important. While measuring, keep in mind that the width of the ramp should be in accordance with the size of your four-legged friend. As far as the length of the ramp is concerned, you can take your dog’s needs under consideration for deciding whether you want to keep the length shorter than stairs or longer. There is a problem with too long ramps and that this, they become too heavy to move from here and there.
- Step 3: Cutting – You will have to mark the measurements on the lumber that you have prepared. The pen you have, use it to draw the cutting line and be careful while cutting.
- Step 4: The base – Your ramp base should be good and stable. It is advisable to place many small wooden beams in between the main beams so that the ramp could have added stability.
- Step 5: Making the legs – The legs should be made of wooden beams. The reason you need to prepare the legs is that they shall connect the base and the main walking board.
- Step 6: Adding the board – It should be made according to your dog’s size. You can use screws and waterproof glue to give the board stability and concreteness.
- Step 7: Beams on the top of the board – It is advisable to take smaller beams. The ones whose length matches with the width of your ramp. You need to line them up at same intervals.
- Step 8: Adding the side rails – For the side rails you will need medium length beams. On each side of the board just attach four small beams upright. Now, attach transversely the medium length beams in the position of the ramp’s rails. Side rails are very important for your dog even though most dog owners do not build them when constructing the best dog ramps. These rails protect your dog from sliding off.
- Step 9: Adding the carpet – You need to attach the carpet properly to the surface of the ramp so that it does not slip when your doggo moves on it. You can use a glue to fix it or to make it even less slippery, you can staple the carpet ‘s top and bottom ends with a staple gun.
- Step 10: Sanding the ramp – Using the sandpaper is necessary to smoothen the wooden surfaces. Until you stop feeling rough wooden edges keep sanding the ramp.
Constructing a Dog Ramp for Bed
To give your four-legged friend a leg up, the best thing that you can do is, build a dog ramp for your bed. The pet shall be able to go on and off from the bed or couch without any trouble. If you have a little dog or a one with hip issues then, this is the best thing you can gift your pooch with. Choosing the best dog ramp for bed is easy if you know what factors are to be considered before buying one. On the other hand, if you are willing to build a bed dog ramp for your pooch then, there are numerous designs available on-line. While going through the designs, you will come across those that are specifically for furniture while the other ones shall be for vehicles. You shall have to choose the one that suits your dog’s needs. It is advisable not to just build or construct a ramp that can only be used on a bed. So, make a multi-purpose dog ramp for your little friend. The ramp should be such that can be used on couches, vehicles, and everywhere else.
Things to Keep in Consideration When Building a Dog Ramp for Bed
The best dog ramp for bed would be the one that has texture. Do not forget to take traction under consideration as it is a very important factor. You must have felt how you lose stability and grip when you go up and down on ramps. Why it happens? It happens because the surface is not parallel to the floor. Therefore, if there is no traction under the feet, we are more likely to fall. The same thing is applicable to the dogs too.
Steps to Follow
Building a bed dog ramp is not different from other ramps so you may follow the same steps for constructing a bed dog ramp too.